Leafnode 2 is an NNTP proxy server intended for small sites, where
there are few users and little disk space, but where a large number of
groups is desired. It can also be used to give a regular newsreader
There is some work to do to install this program effectively, all
of which is clearly set out in the README file contained in the
documents. It is strongly advised that you read this file thoroughly
before installing Leafnode 2. In summary you will need to:
1. Ensure $NNTPSERVER or /etc/nntpserver points to 'localhost'.
2. Set /etc/inetd.conf so leafnode is executed for incoming NNTP connections.
3. Set /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow to protect the server.
4. Create /etc/leafnode/config and adjust settings as required.
5. Set cronjobs for fetchnews and texpire.
6. Fetch the newsgroup list from the upstream server.
7. Set your newsreader to use 'localhost'.
Future versions of Leafnode 2 will have access to the lua programming /
scripting language so we will be sitting tight with this particular version
of Leafnode 2 until the lua-enabled version has matured a little.
Maintained by: Andrew Strong
Approved by: rworkman
Keywords: leafnode-2,nntp,news,server,news server,leafnode
(the SlackBuild does not include the source)