jack_capture is a program for recording sound files with JACK.
* Autogenerated filenames are unique and humanly readable.
* The 4GB size barrier for wav files is handled by continuing
writing to new files when reaching 4GB.
* Supports all soundfile formats supported by sndfile.
(wav, aiff, ogg, flac, wavex, au, etc.) (option: -f <format>)
* Supports mp3 by using liblame. (option: -mp3)
* Option for writing raw 16 bit data to stdout. (option: -ws)
* Built-in console meter, plus option for automatically starting and stopping
the Meterbridge jack meter program. Port connections to Meterbridge
are done automatically, and on the fly, by jack_capture.
* jack_capture can connect to any input or output jack port.
When "connecting" to a jack input port (i.e. a writable port), jack_capture
constantly monitors which jack ports which are connected
to that input port, and makes sure jack_capture is always
connected to the same ports.
In other words, jack_capture will reconnect its ports automatically during
recording to match the connections of the ports.
This is for instance convenient when recording the playback ports since
jack_capture can be started first, and then other programs can start
and stop at any moment while all sound still should be recorded.
* No limit on the number of jack ports jack_capture can connect to.
(I.e. the --port argument can be specified more than once, plus that
it accepts wildcard arguments. For instance, jack_capture --port "*" will
connect to all current jack ports, both input and output ports, except
jack_capture's own ports.)
* Buffers are automatically increased during runtime to prevent
underruns and to avoid wasting memory by preallocating too much.
* The disk thread is automatically reniced to a higher priority when
using more than half of the buffer.
* Significantly better recording performance than Ardour. (probably because
jack_capture writes all channels into only one file and that it is
not creating peak files). (tested on athlonXP)
* No problem writing at least 256 channels of 32 bit wav at once to a
local hard drive. (tested on icore7)
Optional runtime dependencies are meterbridge and lame.
This package uses POSIX filesystem capabilities to execute with
elevated privileges (required for realtime audio processing). This
may be considered a security/stability risk. Please read
http://www.slackbuilds.org/caps/ for more information. To disable
capabilities, pass SETCAP=no to the script.
This requires: jack-audio-connection-kit
Maintained by: Marcel Saegebarth
Keywords: low resources,multitrack recording,console,gui,jack,capture,record
(the SlackBuild does not include the source)